Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Movie Review - Layer Cake

Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Movie Review - Layer Cake

For some reason I have been slightly obsessed with all things UK for several years. The Office, 28 Days Later, Groundskeeper Willie. Among these I could include an entire genre of British gangster films, not least of which were directed by Guy Ritchie (Lock Stock...Snatch, though I liked the first better), so when Layer Cake came along, a film directed by the Ritchie's producer Mathew Vaughn, I knew I would like it, but I didn't know how much. Well...I like it. I like Daniel Craig alot. There's word that he will be the next James Bond. He wouldn't be my first choice, because he seems too...good. He doesn't seem to fit the one dimensional swagger of 007, and he's got real emotion behind his eyes. They're deep. Anyway, the movie revolves around the career of a mid-level drug trafficker (Craig) who is never named, whose career is successful until he starts getting reamed from all directions. The movie has a fairly non-somber feel and is kind of lighthearted at times (Craig is actually quite funny) until things take an incredibly drastic turn to the dark. It reminded me of Ocean's Eleven in the way it weaves and bobs, but with far more menace. The editing is fantastic. Vaughn is far more subtle than his friend Ritchie, and the movie glides along smoothly. One scene that was totally cool was the scene where Nameless is trying to take out the Bosnian (Serbian?) guy in the park. Neato intense. Check it out.

No comments: